Reeds Spring Middle School Counseling
The counselor oversees curriculum that support this goal. This curriculum includes topics related to social and emotional development, academic development, and career development.
The counselor helps students with individual schedules, goal setting and academic growth. The counselor administers tests that measure cognitive ability to students referred for gifted or special education services. The counselor is also able to interpret cognitive and achievement testing results. The counselor also serves on a team of educators called the Support Team. This team meets the individual needs of students by developing strategies that promote student success. Attending special education meetings or parent/teacher conferences is another way the counselor can assist in a student’s personal and educational planning.
The counselor helps students with emotional and social growth through individual and small group counseling. Students may refer themselves or they may be referred by a parent or teacher. Referrals are made to outside agencies when needed.
The counselor manages the counseling program and enhances it through public relations, staff support, coordination of special activities and programs, and by participating in professional development.
GUIDANCE & COUNSELING PROGRAM CONTENT AREAS
I. Social and Emotional Development
• Understand self as an individual and as a member of diverse local & global communities
• Interact with others in ways that respect individual & group differences
• Apply personal safety skills & coping strategies
II. Academic Development -
• Apply skills needed for educational achievement
• Apply skills of transitioning between educational levels
• Develop & monitor ICAPs
III. Career Development -
• Apply career exploration & planning skills in achievement of life career goals
• Know where & how to obtain information about the world of work & post‐secondary training/education
• Apply skills for career readiness &success
Please go to Missouri Center for Career Education to view the Guidance and Counseling Grade-Level Expectations.